The USD 1348 Million Furniture, Mattress, & Interior décor E-Retail Market in India is set to Thrive
Indian furniture, mattress, & interior décor e-retail is set to thrive. Currently, the market is sized at USD 1348 million and has grown at a CAGR of 15.2% between FY 19-22. Despite the hiccups caused during the pandemic, the segment continues to thrive through both organic as well as inorganic means.
Like other e-retail categories, increased broadband connection (along with cheaper rates of the internet) changing consumer behaviors, attractive demographic dividends, and preference for doorstep delivery are helping furniture e-retail businesses in India to grow.
However, the market is also drawing on new players, which are increasingly entering the segment and registering robust growth. Upcoming Brands like Wooden Street, Wakefit, and Royal Oak, etc. have registered rapid growth in then quarters, thereby helping the overall category grow upwards.
The shift towards digitization in furniture retail is also dovetailed by the current pandemic that is resulting in new consumer preferences, despite affecting the supply chain. After the COVID crisis, the overall demand for furniture has been muted and supply chains have disrupted, thereby adversely affecting the business. Yet, online sales of numerous categories such as office furniture, study tables, bean bags, gaming chairs have increased. Similarly, in the B2B segment the demand for office furniture have dipped but other categories such as lab furniture and healthcare furniture have jumped northwards.
Industry Mega Trends
- The structure of the industry is varied comprising of verticals, horizontals, niche players, and existing big players tapping into online commerce. Over the past 5 years, verticals like Pepper Fry and Urban ladder have thrived in the space. Besides tie-ups with local manufacturers, they have also developed their private labels.
- However, now they command relatively smaller share. Pepper Fry has a market share of less than 7%, whereas Urban Ladder has now been acquired by Reliance Retail. With Reliance entering the space, the industry is set for a massive thrust.
- Lured by the long-term potential of segment, big horizontal players like Flipkart & Amazon are aggressively scaling their furniture and interior category.
- Large furniture manufacturers like Godrej and Ikea are now expanding their e-commerce at a lighting speed. Godrej Interio, one of the largest manufacturers of furniture augmenting its offline stores through online channels. Besides indigenous platforms, they have tied up with Amazon, Flipkart, and Pepper Fry. Ikea is also chalking out similar route to expand alongside D2C platforms.
- Niche segments such rental furniture is ramping up on the back of increased millennial migrant population in Indian metros. There is growing organic demand for renting out various furniture items such as sofas, beds, lounges, etc. Due to economic uncertainty, many households will prefer renting rather than buying. However, due to extended WFH, many migrants are going to their hometown, which will impact the businesses of prominent players such as Furlenco and RentoMojo.
- Players are investing in immersive technologies to reverse the fall-out from the lockdown. Through immersive technologies, buyers can now digitally create the interiors of homes and try various alternatives. This helps in informed decisions without actually visiting.
- Players are now coming with value added services to further lure and retain buyers. Partnerships are formed with local contractors to help buyers with installation services. Similarly, EMI options are now given to buy buyers.
How India Watch can help?
The India Watch is a market research and business information advisory based out of India. We work with established businesses, start-ups, investors, trade promotion bodies, etc. to offer custom market research and data solutions.
- We offer tailor market surveys for retailers businesses, and start-ups to learn more about market trends, market segments, consumer behaviors, market growth drivers, etc.
- We work with investors and PE players and offer them custom research solutions to make informed investment decisions.
- We work with trade consuls, trade promotion bodies, and other consulting companies to offer India market entry solutions. We also work directly with international clients to chalk out their market entry strategies.
- We work with businesses, enterprises, retailers, start-ups as research partners to offer valuable insights into a wide range of areas – industry & market analysis, distribution structure, pricing analysis, policy framework, and much more.
- For any further information feel free to drop us a mail at firstname.lastname@example.org